The company's namesake, William Russell Case, first made knives with his brothers under the name, Case Brothers Cutlery Company. The company’s roots extend back to 1889, when the Case brothers – William Russell (W.
His son, John Russell ("Russ") Case, worked as a salesman for his father's company before founding W. R.), Jean, John and Andrew Case, formerly of the Cattaraugus Cutlery Company – began selling cutlery from the back of a wagon in various small western New York villages. By the time the company moved to Pennsylvania in 1905, the four Case brothers had established their brands.
In the company’s early days (1914), this signified that the blade had been tested twice; an X was added for each test.
Knife handles are made of a variety of natural materials like Brazilian cattle bone, India stag, buffalo horn, ancient mammoth ivory, mother of pearl, exotic hardwoods and precious stones. Case makes it easy, with a system of stamps, to identify a knife as an original Case and to identify it by its pattern, year of manufacture and composition of steel. (There may be one stamp on either side.) The stamps will be on the largest blade of a multiblade folding knife. They are highly collectible—the Case Collectors Club has about 18,000 members, who collect by model (pattern), handle material and year among other characteristics. has produced many types of folding and fixed-blade knives since 1889.The stamp that includes the word “Case” is the tang stamp.