The old Market House with its eight stone pillars is a landmark, in front of the fine Decorated and Perpendicular church with its noble tower.
Near Macclesfield is best known for cotton manufacture and the massive railway viaduct.
Much later, in the era of the English Civil War and on the date of 23 December 1642 some of the prominent gentlemen of Cheshire met in Bunbury and drew up the Bunbury Agreement.
The terms of the agreement were intended to keep Cheshire neutral during the English Civil War.
They were allegedly a cadet line of the Norman family of De St Pierre, associated with Hugh "Lupus" Earl of Chester, one of the famous "marcher lords" of the Welsh Marches.
It is mostly rural, with a number of small towns and villages supporting the agricultural and other industries which produce Cheshire cheese, salt, chemicals and silk.
A series of changes that occurred as English itself changed, together with some simplifications and elision, resulted in the name Cheshire, as it occurs today.
The fine church, dating from the 12th to the 15th centuries, is noted for its detached tower and spire, carved oak roof and furnishings.
On Cheshire's southern boundary is an ancient market town on the River Weaver.