The oak branch is trebly allusive to the name: it is bent into the shape of its initial letter; oak (Anglo-Saxon ac) expresses the first syllable; and the acorns recall the old form of the name, Akerenton.
ARMS: Or on a Bend Gules between two Lozenges Sable a Lion's Gamb erased of the field.
The shuttle and millrind represent the cotton and engineering industries and the sparrowhawk is from the arms of the Atherton family.
The second Powys Lord Lilford married the heiress of the Athertons of Atherton Hall in 1797.
There are recreation grounds and public baths, a mechanics' institute with a library, also Conservative, Liberal and working men's clubs. 2) cotton factories, soap works, corn-mills, brick and tile works and engineering works afford employment to the inhabitants.
The land is heavy, with clay subsoil; there are 828 acres in permanent grass and 68 in woods and plantations. 3) A sea-coal mine is mentioned in the 1376 deed of partition.
Fleetwood acquired its modern character in the 1830s, when the principal landowner Peter Hesketh-Fleetwood, High Sheriff and MP, conceived an ambitious plan to re-develop the town to make it a busy seaport and railway spur.
He commissioned the distinguished Victorian architect Decimus Burton to design a number of substantial civic buildings, including two lighthouses.
Over the years we have learned to adapt and change with the times.
This township lies to the north of Accrington, from which it is separated by a piece of Altham, and is bounded on the west and north-west by Hyndburn Brook, towards which the surface in general slopes down from the south-east side, where the land is about 550 ft. The area is 1,059 acres, including 21 of inland water, and the population in 1901 numbered 8,153.
The principal roads are those from Blackburn east to Padiham and from Accrington north to Whalley.
At their crossing is the place called Henfield or Enfield, now urban in character, from which streets of houses extend in a north-west direction through Oakenshaw towards the mills and works on the Hyndburn.
To the north-east and south-west of this urban district are the rural portions, in which stand Clayton Hall and Dunkenhalgh respectively; each of them is surrounded by a park.